XIII International Congress of Acarology
(Download PDF file, 288kb, 10/8/2010)
This is our last circular communication before the congress, as it is just around the corner! There are a few important aspects to bring to your attention:
1) Abstract Book: you can already see the Abstract Book of the congress. It is available at our website (www.cenargen.embrapa.br/ica13/). You can now go over it and choose the presentations you want to attend. However, you do NOT need to bring it with you, because a hard copy of this and of the Program Book will be provided in Recife to each registered participant.
2) What kind of clothing should you bring? Recife is very close to the equator, thus temperature does not vary much along the year. Usually, temperatures in August range between 22 and 27 oC. However, rainfall varies considerably throughout the year. The end of August corresponds to the end of the rainy season in the area; thus, it is possible that we have some, but not much, rain during the congress.
3) Currency exchange: many of you will enter Brazil through Sao Paulo, where most probably you will have to go through customs. Depending on the time you have to wait until your flight to Recife, it might be a good idea to look for a place at the airport to exchange some of your money to Brazilian Reais. As a rule, all of your expenditures in Brazil will have to be paid with the local currency, even at the hotel and including the expenses with the congress (registration and Congress dinner). Of course you can pay your expenses at the hotel and in many other places with an international credit card (not registration or Congress dinner). If you do not have enough time to exchange money in Sao Paulo, then we suggest you do the exchange at the airport in Recife, BEFORE going to the hotel. By the way, ATM machines unfortunately are not available everywhere. If you are staying at the Golden Tulip Recife Palace Hotel or Recife Internacional Hotel, the closest ATM machines are at the airport or at Recife Shopping Center (each about 10 minutes by taxi from those hotels).
Once again, DO NOT FORGET to call your credit card center to ask them to unblock its use in Brazil. If you do not do that, you may have a hard time because most ATM machines do not accept International cards unless they are unblocked and therefore authorized to be used. The exchange rates have had relatively small variations in the last few months. Present rates are about 1.7:1.0 (Brazilian Reais : US Dollar) or 2.3:1.0 (Brazilian Reais : Euro). How much money do you need to exchange? Just to help you calculate, you already know how much you will need to pay for hotel accommodation; for food, we recommend between 20 and 50 US dollars a day per person; taxi from the hotel to the airport is about 15 US dollars.
4) As mentioned in our previous circular message, representatives of the Organizing Committee will be waiting for you at the airport IN RECIFE, in case you arrive on the August 22 or 23 and inform us of the details of your arrival (flight number, date and time of arrival), to transport you to either of the 2 recommended hotels (Golden Tulip Recife Palace Hotel or International Palace Hotel). Now, YOU will have to look for us. Recife´s airport is relatively small, but it has 2 arrival gates, on the ground floor and not far from each other. Regardless of which one you arrive at, after retrieving your luggage, crossing the glass door and reaching the arrival hall, just turn right and proceed all the way to the end of the hall. You will find us there, next to a poster of the congress
5) In any case, if you arrive on a different date, or for some reason did not remember to let us know of your arrival, there is no need to worry. When crossing the glass door, turn right and go towards the end of the arrival hall. Just before reaching the end, you will see people of “COOPSETA” by one of the doors leading to the street. You pay right before leaving (about R$ 25.00 to any of those 2 hotels), board the taxi right outside and after about 10 minutes you will be at the hotel. If you have any difficult problem at the airport, look for the office of “Pontual Turismo” (ground floor; Monday – Friday: 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM; Saturday and Sunday: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM); they will have an office at Golden Tulip Recife Palace, right by the Congress Secretariat. Thus, their office at the airport can easily contact their person at the congress site.
6) The Congress Secretariat, where you can retrieve the Congress material and register yourself (in case you have not done that yet), will be located in the central hall of floor “C” of Golden Tulip Recife Palace Hotel. It will be open on Sunday (August 22) between 2:00 and 6:00 PM, and from the following Monday through Friday, between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM.
7) If your presentation will be done orally, be informed that each meeting room will have a computer provided with the programs of Microsoft Office 2007, including PowerPoint version 2007. Thus, please make sure that the file for your presentation is compatible with these programs. Files should be handed to the projection assistant at Room “Apipucos”, floor “C” at any time between 9:00 and 11 AM and between 2:00 and 5:00 PM, but not later than 3 hours before the beginning of the section for which your presentation has been programmed.
8) If your presentation will be done as a poster, remember that it should have as MAXIMUM dimensions 0.9 m in width and 1.5 m in height. Poster sessions will take place in the Auditorium (Salão Panorâmico A). Posters of each session should be set up between 9:00 and 12:00 AM of the day of the presentation, and removed at the end of the session.
9) As mentioned in our website for more than a year, manuscripts for publication in the Congress proceedings MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO OR DURING THE CONGRESS. Late manuscripts will not be accepted. For more details, see Author Instructions at the ICA website.
10) The Congress dinner will be held on Wednesday (August 25) at a typical Brazilian restaurant. The menu consists not only of different types of meat prepared the Brazilian way, but ALSO a wide assortment of salads and other items. Thus, you should not miss it. In case you have not informed the organizing committee of your intention to participate, it is important that you do so.
11) An important point to all congress participants, especially those arriving at night or early morning and those leaving in the afternoon or at night, refers to the tolerance of the hotels in relation to checking in and out. In our contact with Golden Tulip Recife Palace, they informed that they will charge half a per diem if you enter the room between 6:00 and 11:00 AM and if you leave the room between 2:00 and 6:00 PM. International Palace Hotel informed that the check in and check out time is 12:00 noon. Please consult them directly beforehand, to know about room availability and for any arrangement.
12) Please consult our last circular (available at www.cenargen.embrapa.br/ica13/) in relation to power supply and adaptors. The type of outlet available at the hotel is shown below (flat pins ca. 1.3 and round pins ca. 2.0 cm apart).
13) A map of the area where “Golden Tulip Recife Palace Hotel” (indicated as Recife Palace) and “Internacional Palace Hotel” (indicated as Lucsim) are located is shown in the last page of this message.
14) In case of emergency, please contact at any time: Carlos Perez: (19) 8142-6962, Renato Sarmento: (63) 9248-0580, Angelo Pallini: (31) 9182-5150, Denise Navia: (61) 9209-6160.
15) If before or after the congress you are travelling to other parts of Brazil, it might be a good idea to check the following site for yellow fever alert: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/content/outbreak-notice/yellow-fever-brazil.aspx
16) Tips to taxi drivers and servers at the hotel are usually expected (R$ 2.00 to R$ 5.00 is normal). Tips for servants at restaurants are usually obligatory and correspond to about 10% of the value of the bill; quite often people add R$ 5.00 to R$ 10.00 on top of that.
We do hope you have an excellent trip to Recife. We look forward to seeing you there.